RBC history

Redruth Baptist Church began when Opie Smith came down in Christmas 1801, hired a room in the town and held preaching meetings. By August 1802, four people were ready to be baptised by full immersion on profession of faith at Blowing House Bridge, near Carn Brea Hill. In the evening these four men were the first members of the newly constituted Baptist Church. The first man baptised was Malachi Hancock.

By 1866 the first building stood where the Town Cafe is in Baptist Court. It was described like this:- “Ebenezer Baptist Chapel is a neat comfortable building, within a few yards of the market place. The minister is supported by a large society.”

Ebenezer (meaning “thus far the Lord has helped us”) is still the official name of the Church on the marriage registers.

The second and current church building was built on the junction of Falmouth Road and Station Hill. It cost £1367 and opened in 1877. Charles Haddon Spurgeon, the famous Baptist minister of the time, paid the last £20 of the building debt out of his own pocket. The work at Redruth Baptist Church fluctuated, as Cornwall, in Spurgeon’s own words, “is hard ground for Baptists”.

A severe period of decline began in 1915 and lasted into 1965 when the Church could no longer afford its own minister, even for a time sharing a minister with Hayle Baptist Church (now the building used by the Roman Catholic Church).

A remarkable intervention then happened in 1967 which prevented the closure of the work. A local school teacher called Ken Mullis began to affect a number of young people spiritually at the local Grammar school and with other older youth from The Loft, they came to the rescue. Soon baptisms took place again; there was a strong emphasis on biblical preaching and evangelism; real and sustained growth took place.

Now over 50 years later we have much to celebrate in all that God has been doing. With much emphasis still being placed on Christ centered bible teaching and evangelism we look forward with expectancy to all that God will do.

Deo Gloria!